ƒ Christianity for Thinking People: The Voice From Heaven

Tuesday, April 3, 2007

The Voice From Heaven

I just completed an interesting online questionnaire. It is meant to categorize a person's Christian beliefs on the basis of their responses to a series of questions. It then quantifies and graphs various dimensions of your Christian belief. I'm not sure how scientific it is, but it is quite a bit of fun to compare assessments with others.

Have a go at it, and consider sharing your assessment with others who have done it.
http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870

I am categorized as an Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan. Apparently that means that I share John Wesley's belief that the doctrine of predestination is blasphemous, representing "God as worse than the devil". I am also apparently not a Roman Catholic and score poorly in the 'Liberal' and 'Fundamentalist' categories. It also says that I believe that I am saved by God's grace, even though I am "totally depraved". How did it know that!? : )

So, what has a non-scientific questionnaire got to do with this study? As we begin this study of the Bible's role in our lives, it is interesting to consider (and perhaps quantify) how we view the Bible as a revelation from God. I am apparently 21% fundamentalist. I'm surprised it isn't 0% fundamentalist, since I don't accept the idea of word-by-word inspiration of the Bible. I recognize the human dimension of inspiration inherent in the statement that
"Holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost." 2 Peter 1:21.

Spend some time considering where you sit on the fundamentalist spectrum. It will be interesting to compare our views of the Bible at the end of this quarter and consider how they might have changed as we study and share together.

"What is the Bible, and how does it come to be?" The clearest, rational and most Biblical answer to that question that I am aware of is in the Introduction section to a book called Great Controversy that many of us are familiar with. I'd suggest reading that brief section as quite a good start to this study, if not for the quarter. You can find it at the following address:

No comments: