ƒ Christianity for Thinking People: Seeing the Goldsmith's Face

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Seeing the Goldsmith's Face

The Power of Our Pain
The idea that God needs our pain to make us pure is more than a bit sadistic. Christianity is here dangerously close to the bloodthirsty god Huitzilopochtli that demanded human sacrifices in exchange for victory and prosperity for the Aztec people.A bloodthirsty god-image stands behind all "this is for your own good" theology (the writings of Alice Miller and Eugen Drewermann have opened my eyes to this twisted theology). Such theology is similar to a kind of thinking that is actually characteristic of abused children.Abused children tend to internalize their abuse by blaming themselves and excusing the abuser. Sadly, a lot of theology has this same effect in a spiritual sense by teaching that pain is the punishment for our sins and the means by which God purifies us from evil. Such an idea is really no better than the twisted logic of the abused child that says, "Daddy beats me because I am bad."Although I am more than a bit suspicious of the idea that suffering makes us pure I also see some therapeutic value in it. In a positive sense suffering actually motivates the quest to understand life. If I can make some sense out of what I am going through then the pain becomes more bearable.Maybe the belief that suffering can purify us is a way that we attempt to regain power in a situation that terrifies us because it reveals our powerlessness. If I can't control the situation then at least I can maintain my psychological mastery by figuring out what is happening and possibly even why it is happening.On a theological level I see an even deeper link between pain and purity in the Exodus story of the liberation of Israel from imperial oppression in Egypt. Exodus 2.23-25 says that "The Israelites groaned in their slavery and cried out, and their cry for help because of their slavery went up to God. God heard their groaning and he remembered his covenant with Abraham, with Isaac and with Jacob. So God looked on the Israelites and was concerned about them."In this text we see the power of voiced pain to get God's attention. It is not the shout of the victor but the cry of the victim that elicits a response from Yahweh. Scripture gives a loud voice to human misery because our pain attracts God's presence to our lives. I don't think that God needs suffering to make us pure but our pain is like a magnet to the divine power. Ironically, that which most exposes our weakness is the very thing that attracts God to us!
© Paul Fisher

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the notes for this week's lesson - The Goldsmith's Face.

I agree that God does not need our pain to purify us. Also I don't believe that God sends us pain. He is the source of all that is good, and therefore can't also be the source of all that is bad. The story of Job gives us a reason for much of our troubles and catastrophes. Then there is also the trouble that we get ourselves into - wittingly or unwittingly - if we violate certain laws for life, and can only blame ourselves. We need to know when to do this, and not blame ourselves or others for the troubles we face because we live in a sinful and imperfect world, where we are surrounded by the probability of things going wrong when we least expect it.

Whatever the cause, I believe that God is more than aware of every detail of our lives. He does not need to be reminded of our plight, but is allowing evil to run its course in order to eradicate it forever one day.

In the meantime, the important thing is how WE react to trials, and this is what builds or destroys our characters. In turning to God in times of trouble, we give God the opportunity to interact with us, lead and guide us, protect us or support us through the ordeal, and I believe this is what changes us, and we develop a better communication with and understanding of our God.

Alister, I've been thinking a lot about this week's lesson, as I need to get my thinking straight on this subject, so am sharing my thoughts so far. I found the notes by Paul Fisher quite thought provoking and I felt that I needed to work our exactly what I believe and not just take what others are saying. I will look forward to our class discussion on Sabbath which I know will be another very lively one.

Comment written October 26, 2007, 8:02pm