ƒ Christianity for Thinking People: Indestructible Hope [2]

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Indestructible Hope [2]

It is seldom that an entire book of the Bible is just one scripture passage within a week's study. So I took the opportunity to read the book of Habakkuk several times this week. What a cogent distillation of the questions thinking people have had through all ages about God, suffering, violence and injustice. I highly recommend reading it this week.
I have recently heard Habakkuk quoted repeatedly;
" ... the LORD is in His holy temple: let all the earth keep silence before Him."
I had presumed that it was Biblical liturgical guidance, in support of the idea that worshipping God in church should be a fairly dreary affair, orienting the worshipper toward God's awesome detachment from this world and our lives. Minimal participation in church worship ... just silent awe as a liturgical elite intercedes between Almighty God and man.
So it was liberating to discover that Habakkuk was not providing liturgical advice at all. Lets look at the context of this well-known text (Hab 2:20). Habakkuk is comfortable enough in his relationship with God to say to Him,
"God, if You are truly 'all good', how can You stand by and watch idol-worshippers prosper as they plunder those who worship You, the true God. Something is very wrong."
And God answers Habakkuk by saying,
"Habakkuk, you have no idea what is in store for the wicked. The apparent riches they are amassing are just more fuel for the eventual fire of their own making. Their theft will multiply their enemies. Violence will rebound with unspeakable violence. And grand parties will lead to drunken disgrace. "
Then we get to God's punchline - a very clever juxtaposing of two things.
"Habakkuk, notice that these evil idol-worshippers that appear to prosper are actually doing all the work, and their idols just sit there doing nothing and saying nothing. But My relationship with My people is the opposite. I am asking you to trust Me enough to let Me deliver you. It's the opposite with Me. In our relationship, you just sit there ... as idle and silent as those idols while I deliver My people. I am working in My heavenly sanctuary on behalf of My people, so enter My Sabbath rest and watch My deliverance.
Angela and I are learning each week to trust more fully in God's deliverance, and to silently wait on God's intercession on our behalf. It is not easy, but every experience strengthens our resolve to trust God more fully and rely on our own efforts less.
Next week I'll share a personal story of God's recent deliverance as we kept silence before Him ... after, of course, trying everything else including letters, calls, negotiation, threats, etc. : )
Happy studying.
http://www.ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/07d/less08.html
© Alister L Hunt PhD

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also discovered Habakkuk this week. Of course I have read it before, many times, but in haste I guess, because this week I have read it several times and saw things I had never seen before. Will I ever learn to concentrate and appreciate as I read the Bible?

Paul Fisher said...

Alister,

I'm with you on learning to trust God. I've had some experiences recently that have really opened my eyes to what is involved in stepping out of my comfort zone into the unkown future that God is preparing. It is going to be quite an adventure.

Also, I really liked the contrast between the inactive idols/active worshippers and the active God/receptive followers. The prophets' were very insightful in their perspectives on other religious practices. Although I'm afraid they would need some sensitivity training to get along in our culture!

The temple imagery of Habakkuk gives a judicial background to the message as well. "Just shut up and stop your ridiculous efforts at self-justification." The New Testament completes the message by adding, "Because God is able to justify those that stay silent and let him mount the defense."